Adapted from Foodess
Butter Chicken is a firm favourite among family members of all ages as it is fairly mild in the spice department. This simple recipe could well become your go-to favourite for a tasty weekday meal.
Total Time: 50 Minutes
For chicken and marinade:
- 1 kg boneless, skinless chicken breast cut in 3 – 4 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons Sahara foods Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Sahara Foods Crushed Garlic
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped onion (about 2 medium-large)
- 2 tablespoons Sahara Foods Crushed Garlic
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 2 cups diced no-salt-added canned tomatoes
- ¾ cup heavy 35% or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a zip-lock bag or shallow baking dish, massaging the marinade into the chicken. Let it stand at room temperature while you prepare the sauce, or marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions and slowly cook until golden, about 20 minutes, reducing heat if they are getting crispy or browning quickly.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in garam masala, paprika, cinnamon and salt; cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes, then add cream and carefully puree using an immersion blender (or standing blender, but do it in batches or the steam will blow the top off).
- Return sauce to saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove chicken from marinade and it to the sauce (discarding remaining marinade). Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until cooked through, about 12 minutes (remove a couple of pieces to make sure they are no longer pink inside). A gentle simmer is required to gently cook the breasts so they don’t become tough, and you don’t want to overcook them.
- Stir in butter, taste and add more salt to taste. Serve sprinkled with coriander, if desired.