CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN WITH RICE
Adapted from Le Creuset Recipes
A fragrant, quick and easy chicken dish using pantry staples.
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 chicken pieces – with skins
- 1 ½ tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil + 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup room temp. water
- ½ tbsp. Sahara Foods crushed garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 cubed potato
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup cream/ coconut milk
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, thyme, salt and pepper to a medium sized bowl and combine. Add in the chicken and mix well. Then add in the yoghurt, mix again and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a stove-top casserole pan and allow to heat.
3. Place the chicken inside the casserole for about 10 minutes and allow the sides to brown slightly. If the chicken starts to catch a little, add the 1/3 cup of water to deglaze the casserole and once the chicken has browned, remove and set aside.
4. Wipe the casserole down if necessary, and add in 1 tbsp. olive oil and the garlic and allow to become fragrant.
5. After 3 minutes, add in the rosemary and thyme, followed by the potatoes.
6. After the potatoes have simmered for about 5-10 minutes, add in the diced tomatoes.
7. Let the tomato simmer for about 3 minutes and then add in the flour and whisk into the sauce. If there are a few lumps, they will eventually dissolve.
8. Add in the chicken and reduce the heat to low. Add in the chicken stock and allow to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
9. In a separate pot, boil rice in 1 cup of water and ½ tsp. salt. Once fluffy, strain the water out and place back into the pot until you are ready.
10. Add in the half cup of cream to the chicken and give it a stir.
11. Serve immediately.