GINGER, GARLIC & CHILLI PRAWNS
This delicious and flavourful ginger, garlic and chili prawn dish appeals to kids and adults alike.
Servings: 4 – 6
Total Time: 30 Minutes
FOR THE BRINE
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sahara Foods red chilli paste
- 4 cups water
- 1 kg baby prawns, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Sahara Foods ground ginger
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sahara Foods crushed garlic
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sugar, chili powder and water. Whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Drop in the prawns and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a sauté pan (preferably nonstick) over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue stirring until the garlic is pale gold, 1-2 minutes more. Do not let the garlic turn dark brown.
3. Drain the prawns in a colander, and immediately add to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are pink and barely firm, for another 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately with rice.